Friday 17 March 2023

Dear Liz

 

Dear Liz,

 

In 2009, my dear friend Karin loaned me Eat, Pray, Love and like so many other people, I fell in love with your unique blend of candor, intellect, and humor. I found myself relating, giggling, and relishing the tale. Ive read it several times since then.

I happened upon Big Magic some years back. As a dabbling wanna-be writer -a rather unproductive artist (with the temperament minus the output) I was impressed and inspired by the thoughts and stories you shared. Despite my lack of official artistic output, I am committed to the path of self-exploration and I think thats what I value most about your writing. In fact, in Big Magic one of my takeaways was something you expressed about art first and foremost being about our own personal exploration writing for yourself producing your art purely for your own enjoyment, need to understand, pleasure etc. I also appreciate that you touched on the idea of not expecting your art to provide for you financially. I have mentioned this concept to several people over the years – including my own daughter for whom I just purchased Big Magic.  I feel like Im having a conversation with a fellow pilgrim and even though weve never met, I feel like a fellow traveler.

Over the past month, I picked up The Last American and Committed. I had stumbled upon some quotes of yours online and it re-ignited my interest in reading more of your works. I was not disappointed. There are so many odd ways in which I connect to your narratives: perhaps the tendency to sarcasm, self-deprecation, sort of tomboyish air, personalized way of communicating and connecting, curiosity, and analytical way of thinking about things.

I appreciate your insights that span from your own thoughts and experiences shared so personally to the overarching themes that you share gleaned from observations, interviews, and research. I relate to both of these approaches because it combines an eagle-eye-view of culture with your own deeply personal connections with self, God, and others. It also so courageous to be willing to share these thoughts and experiences with others in such an open way and I want to thank you for that very daring gesture.

This all sounds like a painful book report that someone told a high schooler to write. Its also dreadfully old fashioned. I couldve thrown a comment on your Instagram feed for example.

I keep a book log online and my intent was to write a response to Committed but it morphed into the idea of this letter. Im sure you receive a lot of fan mail, and I dont blame you if this never gets read.

 

I wish you all the best in your life journey.

Fellow Traveler,

Arizona

 

No comments: